A Step-by-Step Guide to Assembling Your Own Rifle Using an 16% Lower Receiver

Are you looking to build your own rifle using an 80% lower receiver? If so, you’re in the right place. This blog post will provide a comprehensive step-by-step guide for assembling a rifle from start to finish with an 80% lower receiver. We will cover the necessary tools and materials needed, the process of assembling the rifle, and any safety precautions you should be aware of. With the right guidance and resources, you’ll be able to construct your own rifle in no time. So let’s get started!

1) What is an 80 Lower Receiver?

An 80 lower receiver is a partially completed firearm component that requires additional work to be legally classified as a firearm. It gets its name because it is approximately 80% complete, with only the remaining 20% needing to be finished by the user. This allows individuals to build their own rifles without the need for a serial number or background check. It’s important to note that while building your own rifle is legal, it must still comply with all local, state, and federal laws.

2) Types of 80% Lowers

There are various types of 80% lower receivers available for those looking to build their own rifles. Some of the most common types include billet lowers, forged lowers, and polymer lowers. Billet lowers are machined from a solid block of aluminum, offering a more precise and custom look. Forged lowers, on the other hand, are made by hammering and shaping aluminum into the desired shape, resulting in a more rugged and durable receiver. Polymer lowers are made from reinforced polymer materials, providing a lightweight and cost-effective option. Each type has its own benefits and considerations, so it’s important to choose the one that best suits your needs and preferences.

3) Tools and Materials Needed

To assemble your own rifle using an 80% lower receiver, you will need a variety of tools and materials. Some of the essential tools include a drill press or milling machine, drill bits, end mills, a bench vise, measuring tools, safety glasses, and a workbench. Additionally, you will need a lower receiver jig specific to your chosen lower type, a router or jig plate adapter, and a vise block for holding the lower receiver securely. It’s important to gather all the necessary tools and materials before starting the assembly process to ensure a smooth and successful build.

4) Preparing Your Workspace

Before beginning the assembly process, it is important to properly prepare your workspace. Find a well-lit area that is free from distractions and clutter. Clear off your workbench and organize your tools and materials for easy access. Ensure that you have enough space to comfortably work and move around. It is also important to have proper ventilation in the area, as some of the machining processes may produce dust or fumes. Take the time to set up your workspace correctly before starting the build to ensure a safe and efficient process.

5) Milling Out Your Lower Receiver

Once you have prepared your workspace, it’s time to start milling out your lower receiver. This process involves removing the excess material from the 80% lower receiver to transform it into a fully functioning firearm component. Follow the instructions provided with your specific lower receiver jig and use your drill press or milling machine to carefully remove the material according to the designated areas. Take your time and work slowly to ensure precise and accurate cuts. It’s important to double-check your measurements and constantly refer to the instructions to avoid any mistakes. Once you have completed the milling process, your lower receiver should be ready for the next steps in the assembly process.

6) Cleaning and Finishing

Once you have completed the milling process, it is important to thoroughly clean and finish your lower receiver. Start by removing any metal shavings or debris from the receiver using compressed air or a soft brush. Next, use a degreaser or solvent to clean the receiver, ensuring that all surfaces are free from oil or residue. Once cleaned, you can apply a protective coating or finish to the receiver to prevent rust and enhance its appearance. This can be done through various methods such as anodizing, cerakoting, or applying a firearm-specific paint or coating. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and take necessary safety precautions when applying any finishes.

Zeeshan Khan