Canada is a land that values diversity. It has become one of the many reasons why hundreds of students aim to get admissions to Canadian Universities every year. The popularity of Canada as one of the best gateways for providing quality education and then lucrative job opportunities is ever-increasing.
While some students only visit Canada on a study permit to acquire higher education, some look for job opportunities in Canada after completing their education there. Students seeking education loans with such dreams need to acquaint themselves with the process of getting a Canadian work permit before they start on their journey.
This article will take you through the entire Canada work permit guide if you are applying for an education loan to move to Canada for studies and then land yourself a job there.
What is a Canadian Work Permit?
After you complete your education in Canada (graduation/post-graduation), you need to apply for a work permit visa in Canada if you wish to start your career there. A Canadian work permit is like an official statement issued to any eligible non-Canadian citizen permitting them to work in Canada full-time or part-time. Self-employed individuals can also get a work permit visa in Canada. The work permit is issued under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) and is valid for four years. Once the permit’s validity is over, you have two options:
· Apply for an extension – There is no limit on the number of times you can extend your permit. At the same time, you must know that there is no guarantee that your application will be accepted every time.
· Apply for permanent citizenship – This is logical only if you wish to continue your stay in Canada. Once you become a permanent citizen of Canada, you can continue to work there for as long as you want. However, getting PR is challenging; you can get advice by contacting one of the best consultants for immigration to Canada.
What is a Post Graduation Work Permit, and What Does it Entail?
For students applying for education loans to pursue their dream of studying in Canada and willing to start a career after their studies, a work permit visa in Canada gets issued under the Post-Graduation Job Permit Program. Thi permit allows candidates to gain work experience in Canada, and they are permitted to work for up to three years following their graduation. Students can work full-time, part-time, or they can even be self-employed.
A work permit visa in Canada is of two types: open and employer-specific. While the open work permit canada grants permission to you under which you can work for any eligible employer in Canada, the employer-specific permit allows you to work for selected employers only.
How to Obtain a Canadian Work Permit?
Suppose you graduate from one of the Canadian Universities and are still there on your study permit. In that case, you have 180 days after getting your final degree, diploma, transcript, or official letter from your educational institution to fill up and submit your application for the post-graduate work permit. However, if your Canadian study permit expires before you receive your results, then you will have three options:
· Applying for a visitor record to continue staying in Canada
· Applying for restoring your status as a student in Canada
· Leaving Canada and applying for your work permit from outside Canada
The application for a post-graduate work permit can be completed offline or online, and the following are the general eligibility criteria that you must meet:
- You must have a valid study permit or a visitor record.
- You must have graduated from a course that was more than eight months long.
- You must have attended your classes on a full-time basis in all semesters.
- Your institution must be considered eligible to award educational degrees.
The biggest benefit of a post-graduation work permit visa in Canada is that it does not require students to provide a job letter in order to apply for one. For more information and a smooth application process, you can get in touch with some of the best consultants for immigration to Canada. They help hundreds of students meet their dreams of studying or working in Canada every year by streamlining the process and providing the best advice.